Actually, the title I just made up, because the original recipe was scribbled on a piece of paper with a note that says, “Do For Xmas Eve.” It’s one of my favorite casseroles, although it originally called for ground beef. Over the past couple of years, I’ve developed a weird dislike for ground beef – the texture after it’s cooked is what I really don’t care for. Plus, the taste of it stopped appealing to me! And I used to love cheeseburgers, but nowadays not so much. Anyway, I’ve replaced the ground beef with sausage. Of course, if you’re a fan of ground beef, buy all means, go for it!
I do remember this casserole being made for one of our Christmas Eve family gatherings and I totally loved it! In fact, the dish went over very well with everyone there. Then, because my mom always liked trying new dishes, the recipe was made a couple more times and then forgotten about, but after I did some searching through mom’s recipes years later, I found it!
So, here it is….
Layered Sausage and Noodle Casserole
3 Cups Egg Noodles, cooked according to package directions
1 1/2 lbs Italian or Bulk Sausage
2 – 8oz Cans Tomato Sauce
1 cup Cottage Cheese
1 – 8oz Block of Cream Cheese, Softened
1 1/2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1 cup Sour Cream
1/2 Cup Minced Yellow or White Onion
2 Tbsp. Butter, melted
1 Tbsp. Italian Seasoning
1 tsp. Dried Basil
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
Worcestershire Sauce, a few dashes
Kosher Salt, To Taste
Freshly Ground Pepper, To Taste
- Cook Egg Noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and toss with the melted butter. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, dried basil, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Mix well. You can also use an electric mixer on the medium setting. Set the cheese mixture aside.
- If using Italian Sausage, remove the meat from the casings, dispose of the casings and set the meat aside.
- In a large frying pan, set the heat to medium-high. Add the sausage to the pan, breaking it up into small pieces with the end of a spatula and cook thoroughly. Remove from the pan into a bowl and set aside. Drain all but 1 Tbsp of of the fat from the sausage, leaving the 1 Tbsp of fat in the pan.
- Return the pan to the burner and add the minced onion and cook until they’ve become translucent.
- Add the Tomato Sauce to the pan and let cook with the onions for a few minutes.
- Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Add a layer of the tomato sauce to the bottom of the pan
- Add a layer of the cooked egg noodles to the pan.
- Add a layer of sausage to the pan.
- Add a layer of the cheese mixture to the pan, spreading evenly.
- Repeat steps 6 through 12 until all of the ingredients have been used.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours.
- When ready, remove the pan from the refrigerator and let sit on the counter for 1/2 hour.
- Heat the oven to 350.
- Uncover the pan and place into the heated oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- During the last 15 minutes of baking, sprinkle the Cheddar Cheese on the top just to melt it.
- Remove from oven and allow to set for 10 minutes, then serve!
I hope you try this out and if you do, please feel free to leave me feedback to let me know how it turned out for you! Happy eating!