This recipe is one of my all-time favorite recipes from my childhood that my mother would only make when company was coming and it was always a hit! It’s kinda rich, but so so so good. Remember for the most tender, juicy chicken, you’ll want to brine it and cook it according to these directions. For this recipe, there are stove top directions and oven directions further down.
Cheddar Cheese Chicken (or Cream of Mushroom Chicken)
4 chicken breasts, brined and cut down the middle lengthwise so they aren’t too thick.
1 cup white button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 cans Campbell’s Cheddar Cheese Soup (or Cream of Mushroom)
1/3 cup milk
3-4 rounded Tbsp. Sour Cream
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or Jack Cheese if making with Cream of Mushroom Soup)
1/3 cup white wine
1 rounded Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp dried Thyme
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp Kitchen Bouquet
Salt and Pepper
Stove Top Directions
1. Prepare the chicken as instructed via my blog post HERE. Pat dry after having it in the brine. Salt and pepper chicken on both sides prior to cooking.
2. In a medium frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the sliced mushrooms and saute until they’re shrunk down a bit and the liquids in the pan are mostly gone. Set aside.
3. Once your chicken is finished cooking, set it aside on a plate.
4. In the same frying pan you cooked the chicken in, first drain the liquid and then add the Cheddar Cheese soup, the milk, the wine and the Dijon mustard. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally until everything in the pan is heated and the sauce is smooth.
5. Add the Thyme, Garlic Powder, cayenne and kitchen bouquet. Cook and simmer on Medium for about 10 minutes.
6. Stir in the sour cream and stir.
7. Return the chicken to the pan in the sauce, turning once to coat. Stir in the mushrooms.
8. Sprinkle the cheddar cheese (or Jack cheese) over the chicken and cover the pan, cooking just until the cheese has melted.
Tip: Serve with Jasmine rice. Pour some of the sauce over the rice. It’s fantastic!
- Brine the chicken according to these instructions, but do not cook the chicken. Make sure to cut it down the middle lengthwise so they’re not too thick.
- Spray a baking pan (large enough to lay all the chicken flat at the bottom), with cooking spray.
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Saute your mushrooms and set aside.
- In a tall saucepan, add the 2 cans of soup, milk, wine, Dijon mustard, thyme, garlic powder, cayenne, kitchen bouquet and sour cream. Heat on medium-high heat and stir. Once it starts bubbling, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Season the brined chicken with salt and pepper. Place into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the saute’d mushrooms over the chicken.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and mushrooms.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the cheddar cheese (or Jack cheese) evenly in the pan.
- Return to oven and bake for 10 more minutes.
Tip: Again, this goes great with Jasmine rice.